There really is nothing better than homemade pita bread. It is so much healthier and it is unbelievably soft and fluffy. You will never want store-bought pita bread EVER AGAIN!
I have to apologize for this.
Because once you try this, you will never buy store-bought pita bread.
You just won’t.
Because nothing will ever beat the homemade version.
So, I’m sorry.
I’m sorry you’ll have to make homemade pita bread for the rest of your life.
I’m sorry that you’ll have the best ever pita bread, hot, soft and fluffy right out of the oven. Perfectly puffed and perfectly golden.
3 hours20 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100-110 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine water, yeast and honey; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flours. Stir in 1/2 cup flour mixture into the yeast mixture until smooth. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Using the dough hook, gradually add olive oil, salt and remaining 2 1/2 cups flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft, smooth ball of dough is formed. The dough should feel elastic and slightly tacky to the touch. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl or coat with nonstick spray; place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Gently deflate dough by punching down. Cut into 12 pieces, shaping into a ball. Using a rolling pin, flatten each ball into a 5-inch round.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place rounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Place into oven and bake until puffed, about 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm.